Standards of Conduct
Our Standards of Professional Conduct and Code of Ethics
The Standards of Conduct and Ethics as prescribed by The International Institute of Weddings is a set of principles and guidelines that each IIW Member agrees to adopt and uphold in order to remain in compliance and good standing with The Institute of Weddings
- I will provide to all bridal consumers truthful and accurate information with respect to professional performance of duties and completion of contracts.
- When unable or unqualified to fulfill requests for services, I will make every effort to recommend the service of other qualified wedding professionals or merchants.
- I will demonstrate empathy for the bridal client by practicing positive interpersonal and communication skills.
- I will respect the confidential nature of the client’s information, and will use proprietary client information only with the client’s permission. I will abide with all Privacy Laws and regulations.
- I will maintain an objective manner to promote and encourage the highest level of conduct and ethics within the wedding industry.
- I will seek to deal with other professional colleagues, suppliers and employees in a fair and equitable manner, and maintain the highest standards of personal conduct to bring credit to the wedding Industry.
- I will deal openly with those areas that may be deemed a conflict of interest.
- I will protect the bridal consumer against fraud and unfair practices, and attempt to eliminate all practices that bring discredit to the wedding industry.
- I will make a commitment to possess and increase the required knowledge, skills and training to be proficient and relevant in the provision of services.
- I will extend these same professional commitments to all those persons supervised or employed by myself.
- I will strive for excellence in all aspects of my wedding-related business and the wedding industry.
- I will be truthful in all advertising claims and promotional materials.
- I will not make promises to the client that I’m not certain I will be able to honor.
- I will strive to conduct myself professionally and with courtesy when dealing with the bridal consumer, suppliers, business associates and colleagues at all times, and I will train and require my employees to do the same
- I will never disparage or otherwise do anything to harm a competitor in order to give myself an unfair advantage.
- I will never do or say anything to mislead a consumer.
- I will be responsive to all legitimate consumer complaints and concerns.
- I will disclose all relevant terms, conditions, and agreements in writing.
- I will maintain a calm and level headed approach when dealing with consumers, business associates, colleagues and employees, even during stressful situations.
- I will not implement any policy or practice which takes advantage of any vulnerability which may be specific to the nature of the bridal consumer.
- I will abide with all anti-spam laws and ethical practices regarding the use of email.
If you believe that a member of The IIW has violated this code, you have the option of filing a complaint in compliance with the established procedure. In order to initiate this process, you may contact The Institute to file a complaint.
Further, in order to be authorized to legally display the IIW Trust Seal or logo, a business must be a registered member in good standing of The Institute of Weddings, and must be in agreement and abidance with our Standards of Conduct. It is an act of fraud and unlawful misrepresentation to the consumer for any business to display our seal if it is not a current member in good standing with The International Institute of Weddings.